Start with the P's
Be an Advocate
Create ONE Site
Focus on Content
Keep It Simple
|| Rule 2: Start
With the 5 "P’s": Purpose, Plans, Policies, Procedures, Performance Measures
Determine the purpose of your website
- We already discussed this in the first session, when we talked about developing the purpose of HUD's website
- Remember - this is the most important thing you can do!
Develop a plan
- Decide what you're going to do in the coming year - what do you want to accomplish?
- Lay out your goals and tasks
- Be optimistic - but not overwhelming!
- Let everyone know what your plans are--update them regularly
- HUD publishes the "State of the Web" report every year, to let managers know what the
web plans are for the year.
Document policies and procedures
- Make sure everyone is playing by the same rules
- Use HUD’s policies as a sample
Decide how you will measure performance
- Before you post your site, think about how you will monitor and document success
- Statistics: use your statistics to monitor increase in customers served
- Email feedback: use email to learn what you're doing well…and not
- Focus groups: talk with people from your target audiences - show them your website and ask them how you're doing
- Awards: apply for awards - see how others rate your website
- Cost savings or cost avoidance: quantify the dollars you save by publishing information on the website, instead of printing and distributing hard copies
- Surveys: let your audience respond to a set of questions and tell you how you're doing
- If possible, tie performance of your website to achievement of your
- The more you can show that your website helps achieve the mission,
the more support you will get