|HUD Tampa No. 08-06
(813) 228-2026 ext. 2112
October 1, 2008
TAMPA FIELD OFFICE ANNOUNCES WINNERS OF 2008 ANNUAL COMMUNITY PARTNER BEST PRACTICE AWARDS
Tampa Housing Authority receives 11 awards including most outstanding
TAMPA - During its annual Partners Planning Meeting, held on September 24, 2008, at A La Carte Event Pavilion, the Tampa Field Office of the U.S. Department of Housing and Development proudly announced the winners of its 2008 Annual Community Partner Best Practice Awards.
For the past eight years the HUD Tampa Field Office has recognized organizations that are making a difference in
the lives of persons living in its 12 county service area. The awards are designed to recognize organizations that demonstrate an outstanding community commitment to HUD's strategic goals.
In 2006, following the untimely death of Arnold Andrews, former executive director of Catholic Charities, the Tampa Field Office created the Arnold Andrews Award. The award was designed to recognize the most outstanding nominee that best exemplified the mission and spirit of HUD's housing and community development programs.
HUD is the nation's housing agency committed to increasing homeownership, particularly among minorities;
creating affordable housing opportunities for low-income Americans; and supporting the homeless, elderly, people with disabilities and people living with AIDS. The Department also promotes economic and community development and enforces the nation's fair housing laws. More information about HUD and its programs is available on the
Internet and espanol.hud.gov.
2008 Tampa Field Office Best Practice Winners
Arnold Andrews Award Winner:
Gardens at South Bay, Tampa Housing Authority
Utilizing funds from a variety of sources including HUD, the Tampa Housing Authority replaced the former neglected and crime-ridden Rembrandt public housing community with a new mixed income community that was designed to accommodate the needs of low income families and provide quality, safe and sanitary housing to low and moderate income families.
Other Best Practice Categories and Awards by HUD Strategic Goal
HUD Strategic Goal: Increase Homeownership:
First Place: Downpayment Assistance Lender Loan Submission by the City of Tampa
- Home for the Holidays: The Warrick Dunn Foundation
1st Time Homebuyers Educational Program by The Center for Affordable Homeownership (Tampa Housing Authority)
HUD Strategic Goal: Promote Decent Affordable Housing:
First Place: The Sanctuary at James H. Shimberg Estates by the Tampa Housing Authority
- Pinellas County Safe Haven by Boley Centers, Inc.
HUD Strategic Goal: Strengthen Communities:
First Place: Homeless Veterans Program by the Pinellas County and St. Petersburg Housing Authorities
- Family Self Sufficiency Program by the Tampa Housing Authority
- ROSS Elderly Program by the Tampa Housing Authority
- ROSS Family Apprenticeship Program by the Tampa Housing Authority
- Elder Affairs Day by the Tampa Housing Authority
- Diabetes Collaborative Program by the Tampa Housing Authority
- Youth and Family Counseling Services by the Tampa Housing Authority
- Senior Cabaret by the Tampa Housing Authority
HUD Strategic Goal: Embrace High Standards of Ethics, Management & Accountability:
First Place: Training, Research, Audit and Compliance - TRAC Team Program, by the Pinellas County and St. Petersburg Housing Authorities
- Economies of Scale Partnerships by the Pinellas County and St. Petersburg Housing Authorities
- The Department of Program & Property Services - Customer Service & Satisfaction Survey by the Tampa Housing Authority