Community Outreach Partnership Centers Program FY 1999 Grantee
OCCIDENTAL COLLEGE, LOS ANGELES, CA -- $399,654
Occidental College will receive a Community Outreach Partnership Centers Program New Grant of $399,654 to work with the Northeast Community Resource Coordinating Council on several outreach and applied research projects in Northeast Los Angeles. The target area is confronted by rapid population growth, residential overcrowding, deteriorated housing stock, commercial decline, crime and gang activity, and economically deprived households.
Among the activities Occidental will undertake are:
The College and its partners will be providing over $1 million in matching funds to the project.
- Development of a community data map bank and a community asset and resources guide to highlight the positive attributes of the community;
- Formation of two business improvement districts to improve streetscapes, building facades, and spur business expansion;
- Conducting mass outreach drives and offering technical assistance workshops to aspiring homeowners and existing property owners to help them gain access to mortgages and rehabilitation loans;
- Working on community heritage activities including oral histories, photography, and videos, culminating in site and on-line exhibitions; and
- Creation of a buying cooperative and community garden to help residents gain access to affordable, nutritious food.
Contact: Dr. Jan Lin, 323-259-2994
Content Archived: January 20, 2009