Tools and Guidance
Consolidated Plan Narratives|
The following narratives are formatted in accordance with current regulatory requirements, including the new ESG amendments, to assist grantees in meeting Consolidated Planning requirements:
Strategic Plan | Action Plan
CHAS/American Community Survey Update
This website contains updated CHAS data based on the American Community Survey for 2006-2008, and 2005-2009. More information about each of the CHAS tables, including a detailed data dictionary and a user's guide, is available at http://www.huduser.org/portal/datasets/cp.html
California Housing Element
This website contains a description of the State of California Housing Element and resources for building more effective housing strategies. (http://www.hcd.ca.gov/hpd/housing_element/)
Minneapolis Plan for Sustainable Growth
This update to the 2000 comprehensive plan indicates that as Minneapolis grows, its growth will be
achieved in ways that promote our economic development, strengthen the social and
cultural fabric of the city, and value our natural environment and livability while
creating conditions for economic opportunity for current and future generations. (http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/)
Various guidance and optional tools have been created to assist grantees in preparing Consolidated Plans. These include instructions, templates, data, charts, and an interactive, optional tool- the Consolidated Plan Management Process (CPMP).
Guidelines for Preparing Consolidated Plan and Performance Report for States and Local Jurisdictions
Guide to Consolidated Plan Narratives
Word | PDF
Guide to Consolidated Plan Performance Report Narratives
Consolidated Plan Management Process Tool (CPMP)
NOTE: The narratives in Version 2 of the CPMP Tool do not incorporate changes made by the Interim Emergency Solutions Rule that became effective on January 4, 2012.
The following examples illustrate how some jurisdictions are implementing consolidated planning requirements in their strategic plans, action plans and annual performance reports.
- Austin, TX annual performance report includes financial reports that provide a detailed description of funding sources, amounts carried forward, total funds available, funds expended, and actual households served by activity and program. It also includes a Section 108 accomplishments report that identifies actual jobs created or retained.
- Austin 2009-2010 CAPER (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/housing/downloads/section2.pdf)
- Baltimore, MD annual performance report includes a Goal Assessment Matrix that describes the degree to which 5 Year Goals were accomplished upon completion of the period from 2006-2010 for Affordable Housing, Community Development, Anti-Poverty Strategy, and Non-Homeless Special Needs. Part 6 also includes a report on Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program.
- Baltimore 2010 CAPER (http://static.baltimorehousing.org/pdf/caper_draft.pdf)
- Fairfax County, VA consolidated plan clearly identifies organizations that participated in the development of the plan and aligns the consolidated plan objectives with the goals established in the County�s Housing Blueprint.
- Fairfax County 2011-2015 Consolidated Plan (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/rha/consolidatedplanshomepage.htm)
- Fort Worth, TX annual performance report includes Section 108 Accomplishments Report that identifies actual jobs created or retained for activities funded through the Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program.
- Fort Worth 2009-2010 CAPER (http://www.fortworthgov.org/uploadedFiles/HED/Housing/2010_caper_03a.pdf)
- Charlotte/Mecklenburg County, NC consolidated plan executive summary diagrams provide comprehensive overviews of affordable housing, economic opportunity, and suitable living environment strategies. The annual performance report describes implementation of goals and strategies targeted toward revitalization of inner-city neighborhoods.
- Charlotte/Mecklenburg 2011-2015 Consolidated Plan (http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/nbs/housing/Documents/Five%20Year%20Consolidated%20Plan.pdf)
- Charlotte/Mecklenburg CAPER (http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/nbs/housing/Documents/CAPER%20Final%20English.pdf)
- Cuyahoga County, IL strategic plan and action plan uses the Guide to Consolidated Plan Narratives to describe how the jurisdiction plans to provide new or improved availability, affordability, and sustainability of decent housing, a suitable living environment, and economic opportunity, principally for extremely low-income, low-income, and moderate-income residents.
- Cuyahoga County Strategic Plan 2010 (http://development.cuyahogacounty.us/pdf_development/en-US/STRATEGICPLAN_2010.pdf)
- Cuyahoga County Action Plan 2010 (http://development.cuyahogacounty.us/pdf_development/en-US/ACTION%20PLAN_2010.pdf)
- Minneapolis, MN consolidated action plan executive summary charts provide a summary of outcomes and the type of benefits the city expects to achieve through new and improved access to decent housing, suitable living environments, and economic opportunity. The annual performance report clearly describes how the city achieved its goals by 1) providing new access to affordable rental and owner occupied housing and 2) preservation of affordable housing for extremely low-income, low-income, and moderate-income households. HUD Priority Housing Needs Table also includes 5-year goals for the development of new housing and rehabilitation of existing units.
- Minneapolis Consolidated 2010-2014 Plan (http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/citywork/city-coordinator/grants/2010ConsolidatedPlan.pdf)
- Minneapolis CAPER (http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/citywork/city-coordinator/grants/2009CAPERdraft.pdf)
- HUD Tables
- Pittsburgh, PA consolidated annual performance report executive summary includes charts that provide a useful summary of goals, expenditures and accomplishments involving its housing, homeless, special needs, community development, and economic development strategies and a chart that tracks progress for projects funded through the Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program. The 2010 consolidated plan also includes charts that describes accomplishments for projects funded through the Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program.
- St. Clair County, IL consolidated annual performance report describes the amount of funds leveraged from other sources; describes progress in meeting annual goals, including section 215 affordable housing goals for rental and owner housing; and contains a CAPER Completeness Checklist.
- St. Clair County 2009 CAPER (http://www.co.st-clair.il.us/NR/rdonlyres/4D5B6337-A233-49BA-8054-E1DC361FFA18/0/2009SCCCAPER.pdf
- Tucson and Pima County, AZ strategic plan, action plan, and citizens summary describe how the jurisdiction plans to implement their vision of sustainable communities by investing in geographic areas with the greatest need while promoting greater housing choice and economic and social integration. The plan demonstrates how housing is less affordable outside of Tucson and South Tucson.
- 2010-2014 Consolidated Plan (http://www.tucsonaz.gov/csd/What_s_New/Tucson%20Pima%20County%202010-2014%20Consolidated%20Plan.pdf)
- Action Plan (http://www.pima.gov/CED/Data/documents/DraftPimaCounty2010AnnualActionPlan.pdf)
- Citizens Summary (http://www.tucsonaz.gov/csd/What_s_New/Tucson%20Pima%20County%20Consolidated%20Plan%20Citizen%20Summary.pdf)
Performance Measurement Examples
The following illustrate how some jurisdictions are implementing performance measurement in their consolidated plans, action plans and annual performance reports.
- Promising Practices in Performance Measurement
This report documents promising local practices in performance measurement, and it documents the crosscutting lessons drawn from these case studies that may be useful to other localities in implementing performance measurement systems. (http://www.huduser.org/portal/publications/econdev/prompractices.html)
- Anoka County, MN action plan includes spreadsheets that track specific targets for achieving annual affordable housing goals and specific 5-year goals and objectives for housing and community development.
- Austin, TX This CAPER includes an excellent example of an assessment of progress toward meeting 5-year goals, and a comparison of the annual proposed goals and actual accomplishments for outcomes submitted with the consolidated plan.
- Boston, MA action plan includes an Executive Summary that that provides summary of objectives/outcomes, program descriptions, and maps.
- Cedar Rapids, IA action plan includes useful chart that show outcomes, objectives, performance indicators, and annual goals for different types of activities.
- Chicago, IL action plan includes an Annual Strategy chart that shows program titles, detailed program descriptions, anticipated annual resources, the new Community Planning and Development Outcome Performance Measures, 5-year goals and planned annual outputs. The CAPER includes a chart that tracks progress for projects funded through the Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program.
- Dakota County, MN CAPER includes spreadsheets that track specific targets for achieving annual affordable housing goals during 5-year period and specific annual objectives for housing and community development during 5-year period.
- Fresno, CA action plan includes a chart that provides summary of objectives/outcomes and past performance in the Executive Summary.
- Long Beach, CA This CAPER describes its implementation of the new outcome measurement framework and includes specific annual objectives, performance indicators, expenditures and expected number and actual number of annual and multi-year accomplishments for various types of activities.
- Minneapolis, MN action plan includes an executive summary that separately identifies the number of beneficiaries that will have new access, improved access, or receive benefits that are no longer substandard. HUD Priority Housing Needs Table also includes 5-year goals for the development of new housing and rehabilitation of existing units.
- Oakland County, MI developed a performance measurement system by project type that is based on the Michigan Community Development Directors model and HUD requirements.
- Orange County, FL action plan includes a chart that provides summary of objectives/outcomes and past performance in the Executive Summary.
- Prince William County, VA action plan and CAPER include a useful spreadsheet that establishes specific targets on the road for achieving specific outcome objectives.
- State of Oklahoma action plan includes useful summary tables that identify performance indicators, estimated number, actual number, percentage, and outcome/objectives for public facilities and improvements, housing rehabilitation, and economic development.
- State of Montana action plan executive summary includes specific annual objectives, performance indicators, and expected number of accomplishments for various type of activities.
Performance Measurement Guidance
Notice of Outcome Performance Measurement System for Community Planning and Development Formula Grant Programs - March 7, 2006
This notice describes the performance measurement system and how the system will be implemented. This system will allow HUD, based on grantee input, to describe the outcomes produced nationally by approximately $7 billion of CDBG, HOME, HOPWA and ESG formula grant funds.
Word - Notice | Appendix
PDF - Notice and Appendix
CPD Performance Measurement Outcome System Questions and Answers - Nov 18, 2005
Questions and answers relate to the framework format and indicators, implementation of the framework, the Consolidated Plan and CAPER, IDIS, and training and outreach.
Interim Update on Performance Measurement
During July and August 2005, CPD conducted regional feedback sessions to solicit comments on the proposed performance measurement system that was published in the Federal Register on June 10, 2005.
Federal Register Notice - June 10, 2005
This Federal Register notice requested comment on an outcome measurement framework that was developed by national interest groups, including COSCDA, NCDA, and NACCED.
CPD Notice 03-09 - September 3, 2003
This notice concerns the development of State and Local Performance Measurement Systems for Community Planning and Development (CPD) Formula Grant Programs.