Information for Florida residents affected by Hurricane Matthew

Living in Brevard, Duval, Flagler, Indian River, Nassau, St. Johns, St. Lucie, or Volusia counties

[Photo: FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer examines a washed out road in Flagler Beach]
FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer examines a washed out road in Flagler Beach
Photo credit: FEMA/Eileen Lainez

If you have been impacted by Hurricane Matthew, register with FEMA to apply for assistance.

To register online: (

By phone, call 800-621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service). If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585

After you apply, FEMA may need to contact you to schedule an inspection or to get additional information to help process your application.

If and when individual assistance money is approved for this disaster, it will be displayed on Information is updated every 24 hours.

If you live in any of these counties: Brevard, Duval, Flagler, Indian River, Nassau, St. Johns, St. Luci, or Volusia, HUD Secretary Julián Castro announced HUD will speed federal disaster assistance and provide support to homeowners and low-income renters forced from their homes due to Hurricane Matthew.

President Obama issued a disaster declaration for the counties above mentioned. The President's declaration allows HUD to offer foreclosure relief and other assistance to certain families living in this county.
HUD is:

  • Assisting the affected states and local governments in re-allocating existing federal resources toward disaster relief ( - HUD's Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME programs give the State and communities the flexibility to redirect millions of dollars in annual formula funding to address critical needs, including housing and services for disaster victims. HUD is currently contacting State and local officials to explore streamlining the Department's CDBG and HOME programs in order to expedite the repair and replacement of damaged housing;
  • Granting immediate foreclosure relief - HUD granted a 90-day moratorium on foreclosures and forbearance on foreclosures of Federal Housing Administration (FHA)-insured home mortgages;
  • Making mortgage insurance available - HUD's Section 203(h) Program allows the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) to insure mortgages made by qualified lenders to victims of a major disaster who have lost their homes and are in the process of rebuilding or buying another home. Individuals are eligible for this program if their homes are located in an area that was designated by the President as a disaster area and if their homes were destroyed or damaged to such an extent that reconstruction or replacement is necessary;
  • Making insurance available for both mortgages and home rehabilitation - HUD's Section 203(k) loan program enables those who have lost their homes to finance the purchase or refinance of a house along with its repair through a single mortgage. It also allows homeowners who have damaged houses to finance the rehabilitation of their existing single-family home; and
  • Offering Section 108 loan guarantee assistance ( - HUD will offer state and local governments federally guaranteed loans for housing rehabilitation, economic development and repair of public infrastructure.
  • Information on housing providers and HUD programs - The Department will share information with FEMA and the State on housing providers that may have available units in the impacted counties. This includes Public Housing Agencies and Multi-Family owners. The Department will also connect FEMA and the State to subject matter experts to provide information on HUD programs and providers.


Content Archived: February 16, 2018