|HUD No. 09-124
July 16, 2009
SECRETARY DONOVAN ANNOUNCES $360 MILLION IN RECOVERY ACT GRANTS TO SUPPORT COMMUNITY AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT NATIONWIDE
First rounds of awards made under the Recovery CDBG program will revitalize neighborhoods and create jobs across the country
WASHINGTON - In the Obama Administration's continued effort to stimulate community development and job growth, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan today announced nearly 700 grants totaling $360 million in funding through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act). To view the list of grantees receiving funding under this round of grants, visit HUD's Recovery Act website.
The grants awarded today represent over half of the Recovery Act-funded grants available through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, which primarily benefit low- to moderate-income families. CDBG enables state and local governments to undertake a wide range of activities intended to create suitable living environments, provide affordable housing and create economic opportunities. Under the Recovery Act, recipients give priority to responsible projects that can award contracts through a bidding process within 120 days of the grant agreement. A total of $1 billion will be awarded nationwide by HUD in Recovery Act Community Development Block Grants.
"Today, we make another critical investment in the economic recovery of our communities," said Donovan. "I am proud to announce this $360 million in Community Development Block Grant funding to state and local governments throughout the country, which will create jobs and help to revitalize the nation's hardest hit neighborhoods. President Obama and I are anxious to put this money to work for long-term, sustainable community and economic development."
President Obama directed all Recovery Act funding to be spent responsibly and in a transparent manner in order to provide a necessary economic boost, create jobs, and strengthen America's middle class. In a letter to CDBG recipients of Recovery Act funds, Donovan wrote, "In accepting these funds, it is imperative that you be good stewards of these precious taxpayer dollars by focusing your efforts on the Recovery Act goals of investing in infrastructure that will create or sustain jobs in the near-term and generate maximum economic benefits in the long-term."
Since 1974, CDBG has provided more than $127 billion to state and local governments to target their own community development priorities. The rehabilitation of affordable housing and the construction and improvement of public facilities have traditionally been the largest uses of CDBG funds although the program is also an important catalyst for job growth and business opportunities. Annual CDBG funds are distributed to communities according to statutory formulas based on population, poverty, pre-1940 housing stock, growth lag, and housing overcrowding.
HUD is committed to implementing Recovery Act investments swiftly and effectively as they generate tens of thousands of jobs, modernize homes to make them energy efficient, and help the families and communities hardest hit by the economic crisis. The Recovery Act includes $13.61 billion for projects and programs administered by HUD, nearly 75 percent of which was allocated to state and local recipients only eight days after President Obama signed the Act into law. The CDBG funding was among the 75 percent that was allocated during that time. Now as grant recipients' spending plans are approved, HUD is officially making funding available to spend. The remaining 25 percent of HUD Recovery Act funds will be awarded through a competitive process in the coming weeks and months.
In addition, Secretary Donovan and the Department are committed to providing the highest level of transparency possible as Recovery Act funds are administered. It is vitally important that the American people are fully aware of how their tax dollars are being spent and can hold their federal leaders accountable. Every dollar of Recovery Act funds HUD spends can be reviewed and tracked at HUD's Recovery Act website. The full text of HUD's funding notices and tracking of future performance of these grants is also available at HUD's Recovery Act website.
HUD's mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes: utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business. More information about HUD and its programs is available on the Internet at www.hud.gov and espanol.hud.gov. You can also follow HUD on twitter @HUDnews, on facebook at www.facebook.com/HUD, or sign up for news alerts on HUD's News Listserv.