HUD Archives: News Releases

Jane Goin
(303) 672-5440
For Release
July 12, 2010


DENVER - Senior citizens and persons with disabilities in Colorado will soon be able to find additional affordable housing, thanks to $9,446,100 in housing assistance announced today by the U.S. Department of Housing and
Urban Development (HUD). The funding will provide interest-free capital advances to non-profit developers so they can produce accessible housing, offer rental assistance, and provide supportive services for the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Nationwide, more than $550 million in grants were announced today - provided through HUDs Section 202 and
Section 811 Supporting Housing programs that will fund 169 projects in 46 states.

In Greeley, Colorado, Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities is awarded to Accessible Space Inc. The
Capital Advance is $1,927,900 and a three-year rental subsidy totals $176,100 for 17 units. The funds will be used
to build an independent living project consisting of 14 one-bedroom units and two two-bedroom units for low-income physically disabled residents, plus one two-bedroom unit for a resident manager. The housing site is located near shopping, businesses, and medical services. Bus service will be available to help residents live independently.

Funding for Supportive Housing for the Elderly is announced for Longmont Housing Development Corp., Longmont, Colo. The capital advance funds total $6,802,700 to construct 50 one-bedroom units for 49 very low-income
residents and one two-bedroom unit for a resident manager. In addition, a three-year rental subsidy of $539,400
was awarded. The housing site is adjacent to an existing 202 housing project and a Community Senior Center
offering residents opportunities to participate in activities and services. The project will have a bus system, in
addition to a public bus stop to help transport the residents to the Senior Center, medical facilities, shopping and restaurants.

"The Obama Administration is committed to making sure our senior citizens and persons with disabilities have opportunities to live in decent, affordable homes," said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan. "Neither of these groups
should ever have to worry about being able to find a safe place to live."

Section 202 Capital Advance ($454.5 million nationwide to assist very low-income elderly)

HUDs Section 202 Capital Advance Program expands the supply of affordable housing with supportive services for
the elderly. It provides very low-income elderly persons 62 years of age or older with the opportunity to live independently in an environment that provides support services to frail elderly resident. In addition to funding the construction, acquisition, and rehabilitation of multifamily developments, HUDs Section 202 program also provides Project Rental Assistance Contract (PRAC) funds to subsidize the rents so that residents only pay 30 percent of
their adjusted incomes.

To be eligible for the assistance a household must be classified as very low-income, which means an income less
than 50 percent of the area median. Nationally, based on 50 percent of the national median family income with an applicable adjustment for household size, a one-person household would need to have an income equal to or less
than $22,400 a year.

Section 811 Capital Advance ($95.7 million nationwide to assist very low-income with disabilities)

This housing, most of which will be newly constructed, typically is small apartment buildings, group homes for three
to four people per home, or condominium units. Residents will pay 30 percent of their adjusted income for rent and
the federal government will pay the rest.

Capital advance funds are awarded under HUDs Section 811 program, providing housing for households with one or more very low-income individuals with a disability. Under this program at least one person must be 18 years or older and have a physical or developmental disability or chronic mental illness. The term person with disabilities also
includes two or more people with disabilities living together, and one or more persons with disabilities living with one
or more live-in attendants. The program provides persons with disabilities the opportunity to live independently in
their communities by increasing the supply of rental housing with the availability of supportive services.

To be classified as very low-income, a household income cannot exceed 50 percent of the area median income. However, most households that receive Section 811 assistance have an income less than 30 percent of the area median. Generally, this means that a one-person household will have an annual income of about $13,450.

HUD provides the Section 202 and Section 811 funds to non-profit organizations in two forms:

  • Capital Advances. This is funding that covers the cost of developing, acquiring, or rehabilitating the
    development. Repayment is not required as long as the housing remains available for occupancy by very
    low-income elderly persons for at least 40 years for (under Section 202) or very low-income persons with
    disabilities (under Section 811).

  • Project Rental Assistance Contract (PRAC). This is funding that goes to each development to cover
    the difference between the residents contributions toward rent and the HUD-approved cost of operating
    the project.


HUD's mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes: utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business. More information about HUD and its programs is available on the Internet at and


Content Archived: June 30, 2012