HUD Archives: News Releases

Kristine Foye
(617) 994-8218
For Release
January 13, 2009


It will soon be easier for low-income senior citizens in Connecticut to find affordable housing thanks to $18.1 million
in federal funding announced today by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The funding is part
of $650 million awarded nationwide that will provide non-profit developers interest-free capital advances to produce accessible housing, offer rental assistance, and provide supportive services for the elderly and persons with
disabilities through HUD's Section 202 and Section 811 grant programs.

"These grants will help thousands of our nation's very low-income elderly and persons with disabilities find decent housing that they can afford," said HUD Secretary Steve Preston. "Neither group should ever have to worry about being able to find a safe place to live."

In Connecticut, three grants were awarded under the Section 202 program:

  • AHEPA National Housing Corporation was awarded $8.6 million to create 52 units in East Lyme
  • The ACCESS Agency was awarded $4.4 million to create 27 units in Franklin
  • The New Samaritan Corp. was awarded $5 million to create 32 units in Newington

HUD's Section 202 Program expands the supply of affordable housing with supportive services for the elderly. It provides very low-income persons 62-years and older with the opportunity to live independently in an environment that provides the services they need. In addition to funding the construction, acquisition, and rehabilitation of multifamily developments, HUD's Section 202 program subsidizes the rents of senior citizens so they can limit their housing costs to only pay 30 percent of their incomes.

HUD's Section 811 Program provides affordable housing opportunities for people with disabilities.

HUD provides the Section 202 and Section 811 funds to non-profit organizations in two forms:

  • Capital Advances. This is funding that covers the cost of developing, acquiring, or rehabilitating the development.

  • Project Rental Assistance Contract (PRAC). This is funding that goes to each development to cover the difference between the residents' contributions toward rent and the HUD-approved cost of operating the project.


Note to reporters: For specific information on a project, please contact the grantee. For information on HUD's Section 202 program, or other HUD services and programs, please contact Kristine Foye at (617) 994-8218 or via email.

HUD is the nation's housing agency committed to increasing homeownership, particularly among minorities;
creating affordable housing opportunities for low-income Americans; and supporting the homeless, elderly, people with disabilities and people living with AIDS. The Department also promotes economic and community development, and enforces the nation's fair housing laws. More information about HUD and its programs is available on the
Internet and


Content Archived: March 30, 2011