|Home | En Español | Contact Us | A to Z|
HUD Archives: News Releases
CUOMO ANNOUNCES $35.7 MILLION IN GRANTS FOR COMMUNITIES IN NORTH CAROLINA UNDER NEW HUD DISASTER RECOVERY INITIATIVE
RALEIGH, NC -- Secretary Andrew Cuomo today announced $35.7 million in grants to communities in North Carolina under the new Department of Housing and Urban Development Disaster Recovery Initiative.
The grants will help the communities continue to recover from Hurricane Fran, which caused billions of dollars in damages in 58 counties in the state last September. Fran destroyed 1,774 homes in North Carolina, creating a need for long-term housing and shelter assistance for those left homeless by the hurricane.
The grants were authorized under disaster relief legislation signed into law by President Clinton in June.
"No amount of money can erase the terrible devastation caused by Hurricane Fran in North Carolina, but this assistance can help speed recovery efforts to create stronger and better communities," Cuomo said. "The Clinton Administration and all Americans stand with the people of North Carolina in our determination to rebuild from the damage caused by this disaster as completely and quickly as humanly possible."
Cuomo made the grant announcement at a news conference at the State Capitol in Raleigh, NC, with Governor James Hunt and Congressman David Price.
Cuomo said $29.1 million of the HUD assistance will be provided directly to 15 cities and counties struck by Hurricane Fran, and $6.6 million will go to the State of North Carolina for distribution to other communities around the state. The HUD assistance will help pay for the buyout of properties and relocation of people from flooded areas, as well as for other flood mitigation and disaster recovery activities.
The HUD assistance will supplement aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and other federal agencies.
Here is a breakdown of the $29.1 million in direct aid HUD is providing to communities:
The priority areas for the $6.6 million HUD is giving directly to the State are: Robeson County, Pamlico County, Carteret County, and Buncombe County/Black Mountain.
Governor Hunt said: "I commend Secretary Cuomo and his staff for their strong commitment to the people of North Carolina. Hurricane Fran devastated our state and displaced thousands of residents from their homes. These grants will go a long way toward helping our families continue to recover and get their lives back to normal."
Congressman Bob Etheridge said: "This important disaster recovery assistance will help cities and counties in the Second Congressional District and throughout the State of North Carolina recover from the most costly natural disaster it has ever seen. I want to thank Secretary Cuomo and the many others in the federal government who have worked hard to see that North carolina gets the help it needs to fully recover from last year's deadly hurricane."
Content Archived: January 20, 2009