|Home | En Español | Contact Us | A to Z|
HUD Archives: News Releases
CUOMO ANNOUNCES $2.6 MILLION IN HUD DISASTER ASSISTANCE FOR ALABAMA
WASHINGTON - Housing and Urban Development Secretary Andrew Cuomo today announced $2.6 million in HUD Disaster Recovery Initiative grants to help Baldwin and Mobile Counties and the City of Mobile in Alabama recover from damage caused by Hurricane Danny last July.
Cuomo said Baldwin County will receive $981,301, Mobile County will receive $935,102, and the City of Mobile will receive $679,777 in grants from HUD. The grants can be used to: repair homes and businesses; repair and rebuild public buildings and facilities, such as water and sewer facilities; and to pay for clearance and demolition of structures damaged by the storm.
President Clinton declared the areas eligible for federal disaster relief on July 25, after Hurricane Danny damaged many homes, businesses, roads and other facilities.
Senators Richard Shelby and Jeff Sessions, Mobile Mayor Michael Dow, Mobile County Commission President Samuel Jones, and Baldwin County Commission Chairman Frank Burt joined Cuomo in making the announcement via a telephone conference call with reporters.
"HUD is committed to doing all we can to help families and communities in Alabama recover from the devastation caused by Hurricane Danny," Cuomo said. "We can't erase the pain and suffering families have experienced, but we can play an important role in rebuilding strong, vibrant communities."
Senator Shelby said: "Hurricane Danny displaced many families and businesses and caused damage that can only be repaired with the type of assistance that is being granted today. I am pleased that this important financial assistance has been provided to the people of South Alabama."
Senator Sessions said: "I know many, many people affected by Hurricane Danny, and I welcome any help as we clean up and rebuild. I'm very glad we'll be able to help families put their homes back together and help businesses get their feet back on the ground."
Congressman Sonny Callahan said: "Naturally, I am pleased that HUD is offering this assistance to Mobile and Baldwin Counties, and the City of Mobile. Hurricane Danny was an unwelcome visitor, and the best way for the people of South Alabama to move on with their lives is to rebuild, knowing their government is fully supportive of their efforts."
Mayor Dow said: "I am very appreciative of Mobile's representation in the U.S. Congress and of the leadership at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. These disaster assistance funds will help many of our citizens in their recovery from the damages inflicted by Hurricane Danny last year. Mobilians are gratified by your response to our needs and on their behalf, I thank you."
Content Archived: January 20, 2009