HUD Archives: News Releases

HUD No. 00-336
Further Information: For Release
In the Washington, DC area: 202/708-0685 Wednesday
Or contact your local HUD office November 29, 2000


WASHINGTON – U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Andrew Cuomo today announced that HUD is accepting applications from public housing authorities for $3 million in grants to establish apprenticeship programs that train residents in construction trades and public housing operations.

Under the guidelines of the Public Housing Apprenticeship Program, public housing authorities will partner with labor management organizations or sponsors of registered apprenticeship programs to provide training, educational and employment opportunities to public housing residents. The new program is part of HUD’s Resident Opportunities and Self-Sufficiency -- ROSS -- initiative, which provides grants that help residents become economically self-sufficient."These grants will provide job training and ensure bona fide apprenticeship and employment opportunities for residents," said Cuomo, who noted that the public housing residents using this program would be placed in apprenticeship programs registered by the Department of Labor, Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training (BAT) or a BAT-recognized State Apprenticeship Agency.Grants will range from $250,000 to $500,000 over three-years. At least 75 percent of those selected for the apprenticeships must be residents of conventional public housing; the other 25 percent may be recipients of Section 8 assistance. In addition, those selected for the apprenticeships must be at least 16 years old.Grant applications will be evaluated on capacity of the applicant and relevant organizational experience; need and extent of the problem; soundness of the housing authority’s approach; ability to leverage resources; and comprehensiveness and coordination.The deadline for applications is February 26, 2001.

For more information on the Public Housing Apprenticeship Program, contact the local HUD field office or the HUD Public and Indian Housing Information and Resource Center at
1-800-955-2232. Notice of this grant program appeared in the November 28, 2000, Federal Register.


Content Archived: December 13, 2009