|HUD No. 09-135
July 28, 2009
SECRETARY DONOVAN ANNOUNCES $100 MILLION IN RECOVERY ACT FUNDS TO IMPROVE NATIVE AMERICAN HOUSING, SPUR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Grants will boost energy efficiency, create jobs in Native American communities
WASHINGTON - U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan announced today that HUD is awarding 50 grants, totaling $100 million, to Native American communities across the country to improve housing and stimulate community development (see attached).
The Indian Community Development Block Grant (ICDBG) and Native American Housing Block Grant (NAHBG) funds being awarded today are provided through The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act). These grants will help Native American tribes improve the quality of their housing stock, develop viable communities, promote energy efficiency and create jobs.
"Today we make another investment in the economic recovery of our communities and neighborhoods, specifically those of our nation's first Americans," said Secretary Donovan. "I am proud to announce these Recovery Act grants today, which will help to improve housing conditions and create jobs in Native American communities across the country."
Earlier this year, HUD allocated an additional $255 million in Recovery Act funding to nearly 600 eligible tribes and tribal housing entities. That funding is already being put to work to improve Indian housing. The total Recovery Act investment for housing and community development in Indian Country is nearly $510 million, which includes the formula and competitive awards and funding for administrative activities.
The grants announced today were awarded competitively from two programs, which are awarding grants on a rolling basis:
The Native American Housing Block Grant (NAHBG): $242,250,000 is available for Indian tribes or tribal organizations representing tribes that are eligible to receive Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act (NAHASDA) funds. These funds can be used to build new housing and purchase land to support new housing construction. They also can be used to rehabilitate existing housing, including large-scale improvements such as new roofs, plumbing and electrical systems to increase energy efficiency. The funding can build infrastructure, including roads and water and sewers facilities, to create suitable living environments. Priority is given to applicants that demonstrate an ability to obligate and expend the funds quickly.
Indian Community Development Block Grant (ICDBG): $10 million is available for Indian tribes or tribal organizations representing tribes that received an ICDBG grant in Fiscal Year 2008. These funds can be used to encourage economic development, including establishing a wide variety of commercial, industrial and agricultural projects. Priority is given to applicants that create job opportunities that will bring economic recovery to tribal communities; and to promote energy efficiency in their projects.
The Recovery Act includes $13.61 billion for projects and programs administered by HUD, nearly 75 percent of which was allocated to state and local recipients only eight days after President Obama signed the Act into law. The remaining 25 percent of funds, including the grants announced today, are being awarded through a competitive grant process in the coming months. HUD is committed to implementing Recovery Act investments swiftly and effectively as they generate tens of thousands of jobs, modernize homes to make them energy efficient, and help the families and communities hardest hit by the economic crisis.
In addition, Secretary Donovan and the Department are committed to providing the highest level of transparency possible as Recovery Act funds are administered. It is vitally important that the American people are fully aware of how their tax dollars are being spent and can hold their federal leaders accountable. Every dollar of Recovery Act funds HUD spends can be reviewed and tracked at HUD's Recovery Act website. The full text of HUD's funding notices and tracking of future performance of these grants is also available at HUD's Recovery Act website.
HUD's mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes: utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business. More information about HUD and its programs is available on the Internet at www.hud.gov and espanol.hud.gov. You can also follow HUD on twitter @HUDnews, on facebook at www.facebook.com/HUD, or sign up for news alerts on HUD's News Listserv.